On Christmas Eve, we were having dinner with my family. We were excited that my grandmother was able to make it this year. One moment we were all eating and the next minute terror came over all of us. My grandmother had choked on a piece of bread. I didn't know what to do. My husband told me to call 911 and then he ran out the door. My children started to panic as I dialed. While telling the dispatcher what happened, my husband returned with my neighbor, Joe. He was a firefighter. He knew just what to do. He looked in my grandmother's mouth and stuck his finger in. He was able to pull out the clump of bread that my grandmother was choking on. Grandma started breathing again.
Everything was a blur. Joe started telling me what to tell the dispatcher on the phone. Suddenly we heard sirens and the ambulance was pulling up. The paramedics came in and started getting information from Joe and me. Before long, we all started smiling and the feeling of fear was gone. Even my children seemed calm. The paramedics told us that Joe saved my grandmother's life. The paramedics then put my grandmother in the ambulance. Grandma was released Christmas Day. Because of Fireman Joe, we had a happy Christmas. That is something I will never forget. Joe left his family to take care of mine. Not only does he save lives when he goes to work, but he also does it when he's off. Thank you, Joe.